Members and their Guests must be in possession of a current Fishing Licence
issued by the Environment Agency and they must comply with its provisions.
Trout Close Season
1st October to 24th March
Members are earnestly requested to return personal Records of Fishing
(other than Appleby Carr) not later than 30th November 2014 to assist the
Committee with the good management of our waters.
All Members, guests & ticket holders use the Clubs facilities entirely at their
own risk and the Club cannot be held responsible for any injury or damage
sustained by any cause whatsoever arising from the use of such facilities.
Furthermore all vehicles left in areas designated by the Club are at the
owners risk should loss, damage or injury occur.
1. That the name of the Club shall be the “Knaresborough Anglers’ Club.”
2a. That the affairs of the club shall be managed by a Committee of six, together
with the President, Vice-President, Chairman, Secretary, and Treasurer (four of whom shall
form a quorum) to be elected individually at the Annual General Meeting which shall be
held as early as practicable in each year. The Committee shall have the power at all times to
call an Extraordinary General Meeting of the members. The elected Committee shall have
the power to co-opt as necessary additional Members to the Committee who shall have
the right to vote at Meetings of the Committee.
2b. Trustees – There shall be not more than 4 Trustees of the Club. The first Trustees
shall be appointed by the Committee and the property of the Club (other than cash which
shall be under the control of the Treasurer) shall be vested in them to be dealt with by
them as the Committee shall from time to time direct by resolution (of which any entry in the
minute book shall be conclusive evidence). The Trustees shall be indemnified against
risk and expense out of the club property.
The Trustees shall hold office until death or resignation or until removed from office by a
resolution of the Committee which may for any reason seem sufficient to a majority of
the members of the Committee present and voting at any meeting remove any Trustee or
Trustees from the office of Trustee. Where by reason of any such death, resignation or
removal it shall appear necessary to the Committee that a new Trustee or Trustees shall
be appointed or, if the Committee shall deem it expedient to appoint an additional Trustee,
the Committee shall by resolution nominate the person or persons to be appointed the
new Trustee or Trustees. For the purpose of giving effect to such nomination the Chairman
of the Committee is nominated as the person to appoint new Trustees of the Club within the
meaning of the Trustee Act 1925 Section 26, and he shall by deed appoint the person or
persons so nominated by the Committee as the new Trustee or Trustees of the Club and
the provisions of the Trustee Act 1925 shall apply to any such appointment. Any statement
of fact in any such deed of appointment shall, in favour of a person dealing bona fide and
for value with the Club or the Committee, be conclusive evidence of the fact so stated.
3. The number of subscribing members shall be limited to 85. A Life member may be elected
at the Annual Meeting if, in the opinion of members he has rendered valuable services
to the Club over a period of 10 years. Members who have been in the Club for 30 years
or more and live outside a radius of 50 miles from Knaresborough may be made Honorary
Life Members of the Club. Members who have attained the age of 65 years and have
been full Subscribing Members for a period of at least 10 years may elect to become Senior
Members paying one-half of the current Annual Subscription. Such Senior Members shall
not be accounted as Subscribing Members, but shall be entitled to all of the privileges
of the Club. The number of Senior Members shall be limited to a maximum of five in
number at the discretion of the Committee.
4. That anyone desirous of becoming a member of the Club must make written application
to the Secretary who shall bring the same before the next Committee Meeting and a
majority vote in his favour will then entitle his name to be added to the list of applications to
be voted for when a vacancy occurs.
5. The Club Annual Subscription is £250.00. New Members will be required to pay a non-refundable
Joining Fee of £100.00. Each Full Member will be entitled to 4 x free daily guest tickets to
fish any of the Clubs’ waters. Members may purchase additional daily guest Tickets from
the Club Secretary or Treasurer at a charge of £10.00 to fish Appleby Carr and the Killinghall/
Hampsthwaite stretch and £5.00 to fish the Little Ribston stretch.
5a. That annual Season Tickets commencing 1st April can be purchased from local tackle
shops by the general public at a cost of £25.00 entitling the holder to fish at Little Ribston
only. Such Season Tickets to be limited to 60 in number.
5b. That day and accompanied Junior Day Tickets can be purchased from local tackle
shops by the general public at a cost of £5.00 per adult and £2.50 per Junior (under 16 years of
age) to fish at Little Ribston only.
6. That Members shall not be permitted to fish or participate in any of the privileges of the
Club (including the use of free tickets) until they are in possession of the Club’s fishing
card, and that this card shall be handed to Members only on payment of their subscriptions,
which shall become due in advance on the day of the Annual Meeting.
7. The subscription fee will be increased by 20% for any Full Member who fails to pay
their subscription by 1st April and that any member who fails to pay their subscription by
1st May shall cease to be a member.
8. That no trout less than 23cm (9in.) in length shall be taken from the Club’s waters.
The number of trout to be taken by any one Member in one week shall be limited to six.
The number of grayling be limited to six also.
9. That the Killinghall/Hampsthwaite water be restricted to fly and worm fishing using fly rod
and reel only during the trout season. Bait fishing with worm and maggot for grayling
to be permitted during the close season for trout, no ground baiting with maggots allowed.
Any legal fishing method is permitted at Little Ribston.
The use of barbless hooks is recommended.
10. That no alteration of these Rules shall be made except at an Annual or Extraordinary
General Meeting and that notice in writing of any proposed alteration shall be given to the
Secretary not less than fourteen days prior to such Annual or Extraordinary General Meeting.
11. The Committee is authorised to call an Extraordinary General Meeting to be held
in not less than 48 hours notice of any such emergency which in the opinion of the Committee
requires an immediate decision.
12. The Chairman presiding at any Annual or Extraordinary General Meeting of the Club
may, with the consent of a majority of the Members then present, accept a verbal amendment
to a proposed alteration of any Rule.
13. Sunday fishing is permitted on any of the Club’s waters where the Riparian owner has
not prohibited Sunday fishing.
14. That a Member, if prevented from attending the Annual General Meeting, if he notifies
the Secretary before the Meeting, may have his name put forward for election to any Office.
15a. Members with a child under 16 years of age may, at their option pay an extra £35.00
per year on their subscription and be entitled to allow their own child to accompany the
Member to fish on any of the Club’s waters.
15b. No child may fish without the full supervision of the parent.
15c. At the age of 16 years the minor ceases to be a junior and his written application for
full membership will then be considered.
16. Reports of any alleged transgressions from Club Rules should be reported in writing
to the Secretary within 48 hours, for action by the Club Committee, and notification to the
17. It is expected that all able bodied members and juniors members attend two
working parties per season.
18. Anyone declining to comply with Club Rules shall cease to be a member.
RULES FOR FISHING AT APPLEBY CARR
1. Fly only, single hook no larger than size No.10.
The use of barbless hooks is recommended.
2. Members and guests are limited to taking one brace of fish in any one week, to a
maximum limit of 20 fish in any one season. This rule may be varied at the discretion of
the Club Committee, a notice of variation will be prominently displayed.
3. No dogs allowed.
4. No more than eight people to fish at any one time.
5. Cars must not be taken into the field. Please park alongside the road.
6. At the end of each day’s fishing a record of all captures by members and their Guests
should be recorded in the box provided. Nil returns are required.
7. Fishing is permitted all year. However catch and release will operate for one week after
any fish stocking. A notice will be displayed by the returns box accordingly.
8. No member may share his rod with a Guest.
9. The fishing week will run from Monday to Sunday inclusive.